Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Horton Benched

Michigan Point Guard Daniel Horton has been suspended from the basketball team after being charged with domestic violence for allegedly choking his girlfriend.

The charges state that Horton choked his girlfriend, rendering her unconscious, and then choked her again when she woke up. The two sat down and worked it out, and Horton agreed to seek help. The Police originally were going to file a felony charge against Horton, but opted for the misdemeanor instead.

"I understand the severity of the situation I'm in," Horton said in a statement released by the school. "I feel embarrassed about it and I'm very sorry that my family, team and school have to deal with it too. I understand why the consequences happened and I will continue to do whatever I can to help the situation."

"Given the seriousness and sensitivity of the situation, we feel it is in everyone's best interest that we suspend Daniel pending further review," coach Tommy Amaker said in a statement. "We feel this is the right course of action at this time."

If convicted, Horton could face up to 93 days in jail and a $500 fine.

Michigan's basketball team was just starting to get into a groove and didn't need this. Especially on the eve of a Michigan-Michigan State game in the always-tough Breslin Center.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home