Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Around The Horn

Tigers Meet Ordonez

The Tigers are in Miami to talk to Magglio Ordonez about joining the team. Ordonez is capable of 30 homerun, 100 RBI seasons, but is coming off a knee injury severe enough that it is raising questions to whether he can regain his health or not.

I think Ordonez is a good sign if the contract is performance based and not real lengthy. He could be an asset to the Tigers weak outfield situation, and could fill that power hitter gap in the lineup.

Bonderman Wants No 1

The time is now? Could Bonderman be the number one pitcher the Tigers need? Bonderman says, "I want it now. I think I am that No. 1 guy, and I know a lot of the staff believes it. I believe it. That's all that matters."

At this stage in his career I'd still put him number three behind a number two Jason Johnson and a number one Mike Maroth. Maroth is a little more experienced and has better durability to go long innings. Bonderman is young and still working on his game consistency.

Bob Wojonowski of the Detroit News talked with Bonderman...

Bonderman says he's ready to be No. 1 in rotation, help Tigers win

Clark Heads West

Former firstbaseman Tony Clark is headed to Arizona. Clark signed a one year deal with the Diamondbacks to backup Chad Tracy at first base.

Clark, 32, spent last season with the Yankees. Before that he spent time with the Mets and Red Sox. He played with the Tigers from 1995-2001 until injuries to his back forced the Tigers to release him.

I miss Tony Clark being a solid player for the Tigers. I think he was a great hitter with a lot of potential. Some say his mechanics at the plate cause the terrible strain on his back that ultimately railroaded his career.

Higginson Wants To Win

Now how great is that? Higginson wants to play for a winning team. He's even willing to play for free after this season on a winner. So were you, Mr. Higginson, the last four season?

Higginson is the most disappointing Tiger in the last decade. He's helped define the losing tradition that we've been seeing, and he's done nothing to help it but complain. Now in his latest revelation, he declares he wants to play for a winner, even if it means for free.

Higginson is in the final season of a $40 million contract. Since he signed the deal, he's been hurt, non-existent at the plate, and has done more whining than a discontent toddler. He's proven he's a contract year player, and I say sit him on the bench all 162 games. Don't let him have the chance to earn another contract.

Aren't I nice?

3 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Blogger the sports dude said...

Ordonez would be good as long as the contract is similar to the one Pudge signed last off season. Basically, give the guy the money he wants, put it full of incentives and leave yourself the "out" if the knee acts up again. Much like Pudge and his performance clauses for the knees and back injuries. He would be a great sign, but only if all those things were considered. Also, Boras is Ordonez's agent, who is Pudge's agent, so at least Dombroski has worked with the dude on that type of deal before.

Bonderman's time will come, but just not yet. I would just hate to put the #1 tag on him so early and so young. Give him another season or two and it is all but his, as long as all that seems to be there really is there. But, for what it is worth, I think he is the real deal.

Good to see Clark sign on somewhere, and it is nice for him because that is where he and his wife call home. He was a good, solid player for the Tigers, but I agree - I think his height did him in, causing him to stand strange at the plate and causing him back problems and such.

Higgy used to be my favorite Tiger. When he first came up he reminded me a lot of Gibby - scrappy, dirty, doing the little things, etc. But since he signed that fat contract, which was way too much, he seems to be just "fat and happy" now. But I don't think you sit him necessarily. I say play him, like you said it is a contract year, and trade him before the trade dead line to some contender that wants his left handed bat. Probably the Yankees, they always are looking for over priced veterans. But play him, let him put up "contract year" numbers, then dump him at the dead line to someone else.

Good post. Later.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Dan Joseph said...

>> Good post. Later.

Thank you.

Higgy was a fan favorite, and this year he didn't even show up for TigerFest. Thanks Higgy, show us your true colors. The media has been rough, but comparatively to others in the past, it hasn't been that rough. They all wanted to see him do well again. Heck, they probably still do. I know I do! I've said it time and time again, he's the best fielder they have for the outfielder. They just need to help him with his bat. After these comments, I wanna start the "I Hate Higgy" club.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Dan Joseph said...

That's a good story. Its too bad he's become bitter against everyone here. Like I said yesterday, I just don't understand it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home