Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A fine Allstar Week!

Rollie Fingers almost did the unthinkable. He almost beat Jennie Fynch in a pitcher's duel during the annual Celebrity Softball Game. Just before that, watching Cano pound long ball after long ball from pitches from his Dad. He saved the HR Derby, and stuck it to every Boston fan in America. Nicely done, Robinson. It was the start of an enjoyable Allstar week.

I always enjoy watching the Allstar game. It doesn't always matter to me who does what, but with five Tigers on the roster, I anxiously awaited the start from Avila, and the fill in sports for Peralta and Cabrera. So far, nothing significant has come from them, or really any of the AL, but its still exciting to see the home town guys in the game.

I was trying to remember the last time the Tigers had so many potential Allstars on one roster. It reminded me a lot of the Pistons putting four starters in the NBA Allstar game. I'll never forget them and LeBron winning it for the East.

Its a shame Justin Verlander couldn't pitch tonight. I would have loved to see him and Avila out there together on the national stage. Still, it was nice to see him picked, and in the dugout enjoying himself. I hope he had a hot dog.

Something scarey could be in the works though. Miguel Cabrera has reportedly left the game with an injury. Now, we know that if even one little thing feels weird, these guys will stop playing. Look at Jared Weaver. He felt something weird, he bowed out early.

That's the nature of pro sports when you have millions of dollars at stake. Its not only the salaries, its the potential loss of team income if they don't make the playoffs. The Tigers are one of those teams built for a post season run. I can't imagine the Illitches will be pleased if their expensive payroll doesn't gather a couple or more post season games.

One thing I am hoping for is to see Valverde get a chance to save the AL. Its not because of his pitching, I can see that any day. Its because he has a new dance rehearsed! I'll admit it. I'm a fan of Papa Grande's antics!

No matter how this turns out, I'll still look at this night like all the other July ASGs. It was a good two nights of baseball. I can't wait until next season!

Kenny Joins the USA!

Congratulations to Ken Holland, GM of the Red Wings, for becoming an official U.S. Citizen! He spent 8-10 years working on it. He's brought a lot to us here in Detroit, and we're glad to finally have him as one of our own!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home