Saturday, July 09, 2011

Congratulations, Mr. Peralta!

I don't know why, but I was overly excited when I heard the news that Jhonny Peralta would be the Tigers' 5th Allstar. Peralta is hitting .313 with 14 HRs and 50 RBIs this season at SS. He also appeared to lettting the world know that he should have been there as a starter in the first place with an incredible throw to first base in last night's 6-4 win over the Royals.

Its a tale of popularity, solidity, and a history of winning. Winning on a personal level, and the biggest stage in the world. Derek Jeter is a perenial Allstar, well deserved, and his yearly play almost always warrants the pick. But this year I couldn't help but think that part of the voting process had let down true MLB enthusiasts everywhere.

I don't want you think that I'm writing an anti Jeter piece. I'm not. I love Jeter. He's a Michigan native. A great ball player. I remember sitting in Yankee stadium watching him play, and thinking "Wow, I'm watching one of the great Yankees of history!"

So what's the deal?

It drives me completely crazy how the reserves are picked. Yes, I think the coaches and players should decide. Yes, I think the coaches try to get it right. Yes, I think the coaches have jaded views of things, and make the wrong decisions most of the time.

James Shields should be starting the Allstar game, not Josh Beckett. I'm starting to doub that even Justin Verlander would have been the starter if he had been eligible. Perhaps its time for the fans to start voting on Pitchers. I don't know, maybe that would just make things worse.

But back to the Peralta matter. Asdrubal Cabrera is a deserving Allstar SS. But let's face it, he should not have been picked over Peralta. Peralta has been better in the field, and behind the plate. He's an intregal part of a fragile lineup, and he keeps his pieces moving on a nightly basis.

Still even with all the flaws in the process, I am happy with the AL roster, now. Through some help from aging, rotations, and other factors, the roster is in good shape. I'm still not convinced the NL isn't the better league this year, but I think the pieces are in place for a competitive game.

And as far as the bad rotation luck for Verlander, I'm sure he'll be sitting there rooting on his teammates. When is the last time five Tigers made the team? This is a summer to remember for them.

Back to Winning!

Three wins in a row, and the chance for the Tigers to take all 4 games in the series is a great way to launch themselves into the Allstar break. The Royals were the nemesis the Tigers weren't happy to face for the last couple seasons, but they seem to have sent away all those guys that make them tough.

Carlos Guillen returns next week. That could plug up a much needed hole at 2B, and shore up another weak spot in the lineup. Maybe Don Kelly will start playing 3B again, and Leyland will finally bench Inge. Its probably a long shot, but we have to have hope.

Game 3 tonight against KC, 7:10 PM. Furbush vs Hochevar. I'm looking forward to Furbush building on his first start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home