Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Breaking Down The Tigers - Part 3 of 5

We discussed the Tigers’ Outfield yesterday, and set a couple scenarios for a batting lineup. The Tigers have some unknowns in the field, but things might come together better than we might think.

One positive area for the Tigers could be the Starting Pitching. The Tigers have four definite starters, and a fifth position that could be filled by two or three different people. We may not know who that fifth person is until a good portion of Spring Training is completed.

Let’s examine the four we know, and speculate on the others.

Jason Johnson. Jason is entering his second season with the Tigers, and the final year of his contract. He was disappointing last year, with a 5.13 ERA, eight wins, and 15 losses. Blisters on his throwing hand contributed too much of this. He had trouble gripping the ball, and spent some time out of the rotation. If his past is indicative of his future, Jason will have a good season this year. Jason looks to be a career every-other-year pitcher. Jason has a great fastball with speeds of 92-94 MPH on average, and often has a quick sinking motion to it. Johnson also has a slider, and a changeup, both thrown well. An arsenal of pitches is definitely not Johnson’s fall out. Johnson is a diabetic, and has a tendency to wear down. He receives injections during the games, and he says they help. Johnson needs to get his hand healthy so he can grip the ball, and get his earned runs down. He also needs to find ways to keep his stamina up, or the coaching staff needs to prepare a middle reliever for days he pitches. Johnson could remain the team’s Ace this season, although I feel it would benefit him to be a number two pitcher. He would have less pressure, and wouldn’t have to face the best of the best.

Mike Maroth. Maroth is my nomination for Ace. He is durable, and can go long innings throughout the season. He’s been injury free, and consistently improving each year. He doesn’t have a real quick fastball – 86 MPH – but does have a two-seam and a four-seam version. Additionally, Maroth commands a good curveball, and changeup. He rarely throws over the middle of the plate, and throws a lot of strikes. He’s best when getting ahead in the count early. His mental toughness will keep him winning for years to come. He’s also not a finished product. At 27, he’s getting into the part of his career where he starts to show us what he can really do. He has increased his strikeouts from 58 to 87 to 108 in three seasons. He decreased his earned runs, and homeruns given up last season. His fielding is also strong with zero errors for 2004, and a 1.000 fielding percentage. Maroth just needs to continue to get into his groove, and keep working on getting batters out. One of his strongest points is keeping the batter off-balance. He should keep focus on improving in this area. It could be his best weapon.

Jeremy Bonderman. Bonderman is the youngest of the Tigers. Coming into his third season will tell us a lot about what kind of future Bonderman really has. So far, all indications are good. He has a career 5.20 ERA with 17 wins and 32 losses, 19 of them coming in the dismal 119 loss 2003 season. Bonderman has the makings of a strong strikeout pitcher. He increased his season total from 108 to 168 last year. Bonderman has a 95-98 MPH fastball – his finest quality – and also carries a slider and a changeup. He his walks total is also low. He has a tendency to hang onto his slider too long, and must try and work that out in Spring Training. He also needs to work on his changeup, which is his worst pitch.

Nate Robertson. Roberton’s worst quality is longevity. He starts games strong, and wears down quickly. He has a fastball in the low 90s, as well as an above average slider. His fastball has a tendency to rise during games, and, as a result, gives up a lot of hits. He’s very inconsistent, and doesn’t handle winning well. He started out 9-3, and ended up 12-10. His second year as starter will tell the story of his career. He has to work on his stamina, and he must keep his pitches down, even when he’s fatiguing. If he cannot fix his durability, he may be better suited as a long middle reliever.

So there are the four guys that we can count on to be starters when the final rotation is set. We still haven’t talked about that fifth position. There are two guys, Wil Ledezma and Gary Knotts, but I think I’ll wait until tomorrow to discuss them. One of them is going to be in the bullpen, and one of them is going to be on the mound. There is also still that remote possibility that Dombrowski could bring in another starter, and bump both of them to the bullpen.

I see good things in the starting rotation. It is the most positive area we’ve looked at, in my opinion, so far. Tomorrow we’ll discuss the bullpen.

Stats provided by ESPN

4 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Blogger the sports dude said...

Again, nicely done! Love the points and agree with them all. Again, though, you end with a "secret" about discussing people at a later date. Yesterday you ended like that with Nook Logan, today it is Ledezma and Knotts. Here is what I think, for what it is worth.

Yes, either Ledezma or Knotts will end up in the bullpen, with the other being a long reliever. I give my nod to Knotts as a starter, just to throw another lefty in the bullpen and righty in the rotation, but it is a dime a dozen either way!

As far as the starters are concerned, I have always considered two of them untouchable - Maroth and Bonderman. When I heard the talks of trading Maroth in the off season I was very upset, trade Ledezma or Robertson before Maroth. You know what you get with Maroth, dependable and very "Ace" like I agree. It would have been foolish to move him, and I hope that they don't. With Bonderman I feel you got the other "Ace" in the making, I really do. The dude just seems to have something there, couple that with the fact he is what, 20 or 21? He hasn't even come close to hitting his groove yet, and he already looks pretty darn good.

Plus, with Pudge behind the plate for at least the next three years ( I hope he stays, remains healthy, etc. ) the young guys can only get better on the mound with him there. Forget Pudge's bat, which is nice to have don't get me wrong, but to me his signing was more important to our young pitchers than the line up, hands down.

My last point is I really like the staff, believe it or not. Yes, it would have been nice to plug in a proven veteran as "right now" #1 to replace Johnson this off season, but it didn't work. You know, Pavano, Lowe, etc... but Dombrowski was smart and didn't give those guys more money than they deserved. The staff may be young, but I truly think the two guys to watch for years to come, if the Tigers are smart, are Maroth and Bonderman. That would be a nice #1 and #2 in a staff for years to come, if the Tigers are smart and don't screw it up!

That is all, I will check back later and talk some more, later, the sports dude.

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Dan Joseph said...

I like cliffhangers. :)

I was about to have a complete meltdown when I heard they were willing to trade Maroth. I mean, c'mon, how often do you get a guy in this day and age that can go nine innings like he can? He's durable, he's never hurt, and he pitches hard every inning. You can't ask for much more than that.

I was very happy to hear reports that Florida and Arizona wanted Bonderman (who is 22 btw), and Dombrowski said no. Thank you, Dave, for saying no. You have made me realized that I can count on you. Now, that said, don't betray me. Bonderman is the future. He could be here for 15 years or more. He's obviously got something special in his arm, otherwise the Tigers wouldn't have put him on the roster in 2003, and waited until 2004.

I am still heart broken over Pavano. I'm sure I'll get over it, but not for a while. They outbid the Yankees and lost. They tried, I commend them for their efforts. Thank you, Mr. Illitch, for giving Dave the money to try.

Yes, Pudge is a key factor. His leadership is worth every dime of the $40 million contract he signed. Even Pavano credited Pudge with making him a better pitcher.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger the sports dude said...

Yes, I also reacted the same way when I heard all the Maroth rumors. It just didn't seem to make any sense to me. It reminded me of the way I felt when Weaver was traded, except I understood the Weaver trade - who the heck else were we going to get ANYTHING for at that time? We had nothing to offer. Now, like I said, I would be willing to part with one of the other younger guns in our system - Ledezma, Robertson, Knotts, even that Baugh guy in the minors - before Maroth. We still may not have that much, but at least now we do have a little more to offer.

But, if it was me, Maroth and Bonderman would be the two young guys I build my rotation around - period. The thing with Maroth also is that, even though he is older than Bonderman, his "shelf life" would probably be more than Bonderman. Bonderman is more of a power pitcher where Maroth is more of the "finess" guy - a.k.a. Frank Tanana! Aw yes - remember Tanana, his curveball would take a half hour to reach the plate! I could take a piss, wash the hands, get a new beer and still not miss a pitch! If the Tigers do it right, if the two of them stay healthy and actually want to stay they could be #1 and #2 for a very long time. Hopefully it will work out that way, but who knows - I just hope they "Restore the Roar". Bad pun, but I am a Tiger fan - that allows me to stay stupid stuff and act desperate right?!?!

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Dan Joseph said...

Yes, we as Tigers fans have suffered, and we can act as stupid as we want!

I remember Tanana well. His 70 MPH strikeouts were amazing. More than junk pitching, was more creative pitching. He knew how to get guys out. He knew how to pitch. Maroth, yes, I see that in him too. It is his biggest weapon. Definitely can give him more shelf life than Bonderman. He could be a potential 45 year old pitcher someday.

When Weaver was traded I was in outrage. I thought "Great, they're trading the guy cuz he's not Dombrowski's guy." Then I came to the same realization. They had no one else to offer, and they had to kick-start the franchise back to life. Since we have Bonderman now, and Weaver has struggled, I'm ok with it. Thank you, Bonderman.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home