Thursday, December 02, 2004

Big Ten not up to the challenge...AGAIN

Before we get into our Michigan football talk, I'd like to talk to about the lack of winning we've seen from the Big Ten in the ACC - Big Ten Challenge, and one bright spot.

Scoreboard:

(1) Wake Forest 73
(3) Illinois 91

(11) North Carolina 70
Indiana 63

(25) Virginia 48
Northwestern 44

Let's start with the bright spot...

Last night I watched #3 Illinois put on as fine of a performance against #1 Wake Forest. They had everything. Scoring. Defense. Rebounds. You know name, it they executed it, and executed it well. There was even one point where they were up by 30. Next Monday we will see a new #1 team, and I have no doubts in my mind that will be Illinois. Score (at least) one for the Big Ten.

Indiana vs North Carolina wasn't too bad of a game. I don't think Indiana ever had a legitimate chance of winning the game, even when the managed to get within 1 or 2 points throughout the game. I also went into the game expecting UNC to win by a much greater margin, so I wasn't disappointed. I do have one thing to say about UNC over the last two seasons. Big offense, limited defense. Indiana recognized their main force was scoring, and limited that. They also realized they could score a fair amount of points, and did so. UNC must add more defense to their game, and learn how to play against stronger defenses to win in March.

I turned on VA and NW late in the game. I was surprised to find such a close game. It appeared to me that NW was trying like crazy to win. I give them credit for the effort. It'll either hurt VA in the next rankings, or help them get some votes.

My final thoughts on the ACC-Big Ten Challenge are simple. The ACC has more talent. Plain and simple, they are the better conference. Unless the Big Ten gets life back into programs such as Michigan and Indiana, it will be another few years before the Big Ten can think about winning the challenge.

Let's move on to Michigan Football...

My August 26, 2004 prediction for the Wolverines ended up not to far off. The team finished 9-2, shared the Big Ten title, and is on the way to the Rose Bowl. I had also brought two questions to the table. Let's go back and talk about those.

Will Underwood land the RB job, and will he be as affective as Chris Perry?

Underwood did in fact land the job. Unfortunately, he was no where near as effective as Chris Perry. He was down right awful to be honest. Michael Hart started taking some of the runs, and by week three, Hart was carrying the ball 25+ times per game. Hart was the biggest surprise to me in the Michigan offense this year. I did not expect a FRESHMAN RB to accumulate over 1300 yards in 9 games. Is there a Heisman in his future? Time will tell.

QB, Henne or Guitierrez?

Henne. Less than one hour before game one, it was announced that Guitierrez was injured, and Freshman QB Chad Henne would get the call. The first thing that flashed through my head was "7-4". I was pleasantly surprised. Chad Henne threw 2516 yards, and 21 TDs. Some say he deserved MVP considerations. Others are talking future Heisman winner.

The Rose Bowl is January 1, 2005, and our Wolverines are the only lock so far to be there. It appears as if California will be the opponent, but there are some BCS factors that could play a role in alienating them. I am some what torn between saying Michigan can or cannot win this game, if they play Cal. Cal is a solid team that will be playing close to home in their home state in front of a lot of their home fans. Michigan has never played well 3000 miles from home. I would love to hear from people whether or not they think Michigan can win.

My final thoughts on Michigan football is the MVP. Braylon Edwards won MVP honors at both the team and conference levels. Do I think he deserves it? No. If I were the one in charge of handing out this award, I would have given it to Michael Hart. Michigan's team is built for running the ball. No one could get the offense going until Hart stepped up and started forcing tough TDs, and gaining first downs when they needed it most. I simply saw Edwards drop the ball to many times when the he needed to catch it. There were also two other WRs that made as much of an impact as he did. I do not mean this to take anything away from Braylon Edwards, he has been a fine receiver for Michigan. I just do not feel he was the MVP.

Tomorrow we'll talk about the Lions, Pistons, and I'll rant about the NHL.

-Dan Joseph

1 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger Dan Joseph said...

Thanks for reading, and for commenting.

I agree with you, the Big Ten conference play should bring some life back into MSU. I am hopeful that Wisconsin can grow also. Maybe even Ohio State. I would also like to see Michigan win one or two of their games against a ranked team. I think that would be good for them.

-Dan Joseph

 

Post a Comment

<< Home